Tuesday 17 September 2013

Long lost blogger......

Hello!!!!!!!

Apologies.  I know I have been quiet. It has been a real time of change and growth for me and I have dropped off the radar a bit...but now I am back!

I realise I left you on a cliffhanger... So to pick up where I left off and fill you in on what I have been up to, well...

After my observed session teaching my 'guinea pig' I passed my diploma with flying colours!   Even though I have been at Esther's studio since 2006, teaching my own classes in 2007-2008, generally assisting with classes and training new teachers and have even taught one-to-ones with private clients it really meant something to me to finally get my official diploma...but it was scary!  Esther was dressed beautifully in her professional clothes (no leotard!) and sat stoically with her notebook watching as I put the lovely Lydia* through her paces. When we finished Lydia said I was the best student teacher she had had (she has been a guinea pig quite a few times) and Esther showed me her notebook - she had no notes because I had done the class perfectly.  I was especially complemented on how I connected with Lydia and how I explained the movements. So...all those nerves for nothing!  That said, nerves are good - they kept me sharp and served me well.  Phew.  All those hours (years!) in class and all that time absorbing Esther's technique have paid off! It has been so good to study at the feet of a master and someone who knows the technique in such depth and has perfected it further over the last 49 years of teaching (!).  Thank you, Esther.

So now I am being really brave and overcoming lots of fears and have started my own classes.  I do not know why this past year I have been sort of stuck.  I feel like I have been a  caterpillar in a chrysalis and now, at long last, I am ready to spread my wings.  Some kind of transformation has taken place and I am now ready.  Even though I have been quiet on the blog, every week I have been in class at Esther's helping when needed, and not really sure where I fit in all this.  Where has the time gone?  I have been busy with my private life, with family, with singing, songwriting, art,  healing some things that have been broken ... and then suddenly I just knew I needed to start my own classes.  Now.

So I have!

At the moment it is a bit quiet.  I don't mind that.  I just remember Esther slinging her records over her shoulder, hopping on the back of her husband's motorcycle and driving to doctors' surgeries and village halls when she started and I know that the best things are earned.

I am going with the 'build it and they will come' philosophy with my classes. I am not slick and well marketed .. but I am accepting this, my authentic self, in keeping with the ethos of the original Lotte Berk, and her singular daughter, Esther:

                                                                    Be honest
                                                                    Be selfish
                                                                    Be yourself

          Watch this space!


* a pseudonym

No comments:

Post a Comment